Eating gluten free can certainly be a challenge – one I find myself up against mainly at work where I tend to be more hungry and in need of a sweet treat.
One of my favorite work buddies was having a birthday and also is gluten free. So of course, I wanted nothing more than to tackle his cake. So I messaged him and asked him what kind of cake he liked. And this was my answer….
Ooook. I mean, I’ve seen the pink cakes before. So I poked a little more, asking whether he wanted strawberry cake or strawberry frosting.
Even as I read it, I could hear his southern drawl. “Any old way you go it’s all good. Strawberries in side, on top, icing, no matter how it’s done. Strawberry is the bestest.”
My response: Okie dokie.
And with that, I present my super yummy Strawberry cupcakes!
Gluten-Free Strawberry Cupcakes (Makes 20)
- Bob Redmill’s GF Vanilla cake mix (or really any vanilla cake mix would be fine)
- 1 3oz box of Strawberry gelatin (make sure it say Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 lb of fresh strawberries
- 1 can of cream cheese frosting (Pillsbury is gluten free)
- Foil Cupcake cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine vanilla cake mix, eggs, gelatin, and cup of oil into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat on high. The consistency will look thick and sticky.
- Spoon a small amount of cupcake batter in each foil cup (enough to cover the bottom of the cup. Add a few sliced strawberries. Top with more batter until cups are 2/3 full.
- Place in oven for 22 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Take out and let sit until cool.
- Ice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Add a slice of strawberry to top!